Previously on RuPaul’s Drag Race….
… the show took a break before the finale to recap the events of the past season.
In lieu of recapping that recap, I’ve decided to analyze the final three queens; looking at their strengths, weaknesses, and their honest chances of winning.
“When in doubt, freak ’em out!”
From the first day she came into the workroom, Sharon Needles has been one of the most memorable queens of the season. Combining amazing looks, sharp instincts, an a genuinely sweet personality that belies her punk rock ethos, Sharon has become the front-runner of the season for good reason.
- Versatility – No other queen has as much range in her looks in the challenges and on the runway. Though many people have tried to peg her into one small punk/goth box (Phi Phi in particular), she has shown that she can do a lot more. All of her looks are strong and of a piece with Sharon’s core character.
- Wit – Time and time again Sharon has proven to be smarter and wittier than even she gives herself credit for. Not only are her looks witty and smart (her aging comedienne look for the sitcom challenge, her inaugural gown from 2112) but she’s smart in her delivery (see her in the debate challenge).
- She doesn’t have as much raw talent as Chad or Phi Phi but she’s game and has really good instincts when it comes to performance.
- She can be a bit defiant in working with others (witness the sitcom challenge).
- This is a minor complaint but it is a hair splitter that could mean the difference: Her looks, while amazing, aren’t as separately distinct. By that I mean each of her looks all seem that come from Sharon’s wheelhouse (i.e. Sharon as a Li Lo pastiche) and aren’t as radical as Chad’s looks in terms of completely different characters from one to the other. It’s a tiny difference, but it could be the deal breaker.
And now, THE C.U.N.T. SCORE; a breakdown of what this queen has to offer in the necessary fields from 0 to 5 and then averaged:
- Charisma: 3
- Uniqueness: 5
- Nerve: 4
- Talent: 4
- C.U.N.T. SCORE = 4
My prediction: This is realistically Sharon’s contest to lose. From day one she has proven that she has what it takes to win the whole thing. I would be happy with either Sharon or Chad winning, and I pray that it comes down to the two of them for the finale.
In fact this final three reminds me of the finale of season 1, with Sharon and Chad as Bebe or Nina (pending on the day) and Phi Phi as Rebecca. It will be interesting to see how the finale plays out and if RuPaul makes any bizarre final changes at the last moment.