It’s back friends! The most glamourous show in the history of EVER is back on! Yes, ladies, ladyboys, and gentlemen, it’s RuPaul’s Drag Race! After three seasons of watching the show, I’ve decided to take it on with my thoughts about the proceedings this year. So, the bullet points:
- This year’s group of hardscrabble divas might be the SHADIEST group ever. Oh sure there were some actually nice drag queens (Chad Michaels, and that is probably the result of having been in the game for so long) and yes, you need to be able to defend yourself in a room of queens but still! And Willam & Phi Phi: please shut up! You’re outfits weren’t that hot.
- I shouldn’t like Sharon Needles but god DAMN that was an amazing look on the runway (and she totally deserved the win), but I agree with Michelle Visage (and that’s a first!); can she do anything else?
- Kind of digging all of the bigger girls this year. They all seem to be a lot more sane and cheerier than the last crop and speaking of which…
- LOVE Latrice Royale! While I can sort of see why Jiggly won, I think Latrice was robbed in the mini-challenge! And did you see when she entered the room?!? If you know your Drag Race history there is a significance to whom enters last.
- Zombie Drag Queens! Here’s a game: watch that scene again and pick out all the former RPDR contestants.
- Speaking of former contestants: Loved the little montage in the beginning. However I would have expanded it thus: Charisma would stay the same, Uniqueness too, Nerve I would have added Jujube as well, for talent, I would have also added Alexis and Shangela.
- Speaking of which, show of hands: who screamed “Not again!” when Shangy arrived again?
- As I said, the right person won the main challenge, the right 2 were on the bottom, and Jiggly deserved to stay. I’m sorry but Alisa was horrid.
And now… THE DRAG RACE SCOREBOARD! Yes, it’s true. Modified from a long-ago post I saw on Project Runway, it’s a way of scoring the contest. Of course I’ve modified the format for my purposes but when I tested it using last season as the litmus test, it works.
Here’s how it works: For the mini-challenge, the winner gets 1 point. For the main challenge, the winner gets 4 points, second place 3, third place 2, if they’re safe 1, no points for being in the bottom three, if you have to lip-sync for your life -1, and sashay-ing away is -2.
Here we go…
- Alisa Summers: -2
- Chad Michaels: 1
- Dida Ritz: 1
- Jiggly Caliente: 0 (1 for the mini-challenge, -1 for bottom 2)
- Kenya Michaels: 0
- Lashauwn Beyond: 3
- Latrice Royale: 1
- Madame LaQueer: 1
- Milan: 1
- Phi Phi O’Hara: 1
- Sharon Needles: 4
- The Princess: 2
- Willam: 1
So now I ask you: Who do you like and/or hate this season so far? Let’s hear it.